Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Well the Time Has Come...

I spent 6 hours in the ER last night after a week long bout of gallbladder pain. Not sure if it's related to the ICP. I had gallstones shortly after my daughter was born, but after a HIDA scan showed "normal" function (we'll get back to this later), the docs decided to leave my gallbladder to its own devices.

Anyway. Good news - Not pregnant! My ultrasound showed fluid around my gallbladder and inflammation...no stones. However, the ER doc referred me to a surgeon for further evaluation. Went to my family doc today, who is also a GI doc, and told him about what was going on. Also told him my gallbladder was functioning at 85% according to that HIDA scan in 2010. He told me that even though above 80% was considered "normal" function, it is actually abnormal because 50-79% is proper gallbladder function. Therefore, my gallbladder could be constricting too much instead of not enough. Go me for having the Superman of gallbladders. Does that make my doctor Lex Luther for wanting to take it out? :)

So, the referral to the surgeon has been submitted. Just waiting on approval. Joy of joys.

No comments:

Post a Comment